- What's New
- 12/2020: serve as a senior PC member for IJCAI'21.
- 12/2020: serve as a PC member for KDD'21.
- 10/2020: serve as a reviewer for NSF.
- 08/2020: serve as PC member for AAAI'21, IJCAI'21, PAKDD'21.
- 08/2020: teach Data Structure in Fall'20.
- I am an assistant professor in the School of Computer Science
at the University of Oklahoma. My research interests lie in machine learning
and its applications in algorithmic ethics and robustness.
I currently investigate how to learn fair models with restricted access
to private data. Here is my CV.
- I have openings for motivated PhD students.
- Recent Teaching
- Fall 2020. CS2413: Data Structure
- Spring 2020. CS4555/5555: Machine Learning (at UWyo)
- Fall 2019. CS4550/5550: Introduction to AI (at UWyo)
- Selected Works
- [UAI'16] Chao Lan, Jianxin Wang and Jun Huan.
Towards a theorectical understanding of negative transfer in
collective matrix factorization.
Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, 2016.
- Recent Works on Private Fair Learning
- [CIKM'20] Yijun Liu and Chao Lan.
Active query of private sensitive demographic data for learning fair models.
Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 2020.
- [PPAI'20] Hui Hu and Chao Lan.
Inference attack and defense on the distributed private fair machine learning framework.
AAAI Workshop on Privacy-Preserving Artificial Intelligence, 2020.
- [ICDM'19] Hui Hu, Yijun Liu, Zhen Wang and Chao Lan.
A distributed fair machine learning framework with private demographic data protection.
International Conference on Data Mining, 2019.
- Recent Works on Multi-View Anomaly Detection
- [IJCAI'20] Zhen Wang and Chao Lan.
Towards a hierarchical Bayesian model of multi-view anomaly detection.
International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2020.
- [ICBK'19] Zhen Wang, Suresh Muknahallipatna, Maohong Fan and Chao Lan.
Inductive semi-supervised multi-view anomaly detection via probabilistic modeling.
Int. Conf. Big Knowledge, 2019.
- Current Students
- Yiting Cao, PhD student. (BS,MS:CWRU)
- Martino Boggs, BS student. (honor research in Spring 2021)
- Matt Edgar, BS student. (honor research in Spring 2021)
- Jack Williams, BS student. (honor research in Spring 2021)
- Graduated PhD Students
- Zhen Wang, UWyo, 2020. (first employment: Research Scientist at Zhejiang Lab)
- To Prospective Students
- I have openings for motivated
PhD applicants who are
currently studying in U.S., majored in CS, EE, Math, Stats or Physics,
and have good knowledge in probability plus sufficient programming skills.
If you are interested, please send me CV and transcripts.
(GRE is not required in application).
- If you didn't take enough CS courses in the past, please also consider
applying to our Data Science and Analytics
(DSA) institute -- we expect to launch a PhD program in DSA soon.
- If you are an undergraduate student interested in gaining research
experience with me, please consider doing so through official programs such as independent
research or REU.
- Office: DEH 341
- Phone: (405) 325-5735